I Finished My Book!

I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted. But in my defense, I’ve been really busy. I finally finished my book, and it went live this week!

To get to that point meant removing myself from social media and blogging. Instead, I’ve used every spare minute to work on my book, with a short break during Christmas to spend time with my family.

I had so much to learn about self-publishing, and the entire process has given me a new found respect for indie authors. Self-publishing is a lot of work to say the least.

Any writer who self-publishes would have to possess a certain degree of passion, madness, or both. I mean, to willingly take on that much work – with absolutely no guarantees whatsoever of a return on their time or hard work, would have to require some passion mixed with a dash of madness.

When my own book went live, I was a mixed bag of emotions. After countless hours at my laptop, I wondered if it had all been for not. Was my book worth reading? Maybe I was deluding myself into thinking that I had anything of value to say. Would people hate it? Would people even want to read it? What would my family and friends think after reading my bookΒ  – should any of my family or friends decide to read it. The self-doubt went on and on.

Fortunately, one of my beautiful sistersΒ  bought the Kindle edition as soon as it went live (the paperback wasn’t available until a day later, although I don’t think she would’ve waited for it to arrive anyways) and immediately proceeded to start reading.

My sister would read so much and then message me her feedback. This went on for quite a while. And by the time she finished reading, she had managed to squash most of my self-doubt. I will always be grateful for the support she offered that day.

And my sister being who she is, didn’t stop there. She then went on Facebook and wrote these beautiful words:

First book I have read in a very long time and got to say now I miss reading. This book gave me inspiration and put a lot of topics in perspective. I even cried as the words are so impactful. If anyone is looking for an uplifting and powerful book to read this is what I would recommend. Thank you to the author.

Well, I’ll admit that I almost cried when I read what she had to say. I can never thank her enough for the support she’s given me over the past number of days. Thank you, sis!

Finding Their Way Home is a collection of 62 poems divided into four sections. Some of the poems were written specifically for the book – while others were curated from my first blog, then edited for the book.

I’m still waiting for both editions to link on amazon. Right now the Kindle edition is only available at amazon.ca, and the paperback edition is only available at amazon.com.

Kindle edition

Paperback edition

I’m also in the process of creating a Goodreads account. If you happen to be on Goodreads, feel free to look me up. πŸ™‚Β https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/76703718-brenda-baker

Until next time, be kind to yourself.

You may also like...

21 Responses

1. Rajiv Bakshi says:

Me too a self published Author . My book on short stories : Journey from Guwahati to Machhiwara is in 18 countries , 160 libraries in India , 3 in Usa . My book is also on Amazon Kindle & me too on Good Reads . Hope to see my book in your TBR category .

• CyberneticBlonde says:

Thank you for reading, Rajiv. Congratulations on your book! It’s always nice meeting other indie authors. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead! πŸ™‚

2. WaltPage says:

Finding Their Way Home arrived yesterday and I love it! I am so glad we are friends! I just posted my review on Amazon πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›πŸ˜‘

3. Congratulations!!! It’s so exciting, and nerve wracking when that first book goes live! I wish you the best of luck, now and with future projects! <3

• CyberneticBlonde says:

Thank you so much, Dorinda! And I couldn’t agree more. The emotions of that day were exhausting. I’ve discovered that self-publishing isn’t easy. But I will be doing it again. πŸ™‚

4. Many congratulations, Brenda. Kind regards, Kevin

5. WaltPage says:

Wow, I just went to the preview of your paperback book on Amazon and I am in awe! I love they way you are using a journey of words that the things together. You should tell your followers to preview your book on Amazon. If they do, they will definitely purchase your book! I will be ordering the paperback version later this week when my check hits the bank! God bless you Brenda, you are an inspiration to those of us who create art with our words. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’›

• CyberneticBlonde says:

I can’t thank you enough for such kind words, Walt! It’s taken many hours to complete my book, but in the end it was worth it. I’ve been living and breathing my book every spare minute available. My husband saw the amount of hours going into it, and told me I’d be grey by time I was finished haha πŸ™‚ I’m hoping anyone who reads this post will see your comment and perhaps take a look at the preview as per your suggestion. One can always hope. I don’t really like how the ebook looks in preview, but I have no control over that. I can only take comfort in knowing that the actual ebook looks as formatted.

I’ve learned so much from my experience that I may start a section to help others wanting to publish. It’s definitely worth the investment πŸ™‚

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday, my friend! πŸ™‚

6. WaltPage says:

Congratulations Brenda! Now we know where you disappeared to 😊 That is quite an accomplishment and I’m very happy for and proud of you! One day I hope to get off my butt and try a poetry collection. I’m looking forward to checking out your book πŸ’›

• CyberneticBlonde says:

Thank you so much once again, Walt! The break was necessary, or I’d still be working on my book haha πŸ™‚ I’m looking forward to writing and blogging again. πŸ™‚

7. You should be proud of yourself, Brenda. No small feat to write all those poems, and I can attest to the need for “passion and madness” when it comes to self-publishing. But it is so worth it! I hope your book does well. πŸ™‚

• CyberneticBlonde says:

Thank you, Jennifer! It’s been quite the journey. I’m feeling a little mesmerized from all the hours spent on my book. But it was definitely worth it. πŸ™‚ My fingers are crossed that it does well. And I suspect that every writer has a passion for words with a bit of madness thrown in for good measure. πŸ™‚

8. robert okaji says:

Congratulations, Brenda!

Your beautiful words always give me reason to smile.

Get the latest posts delivered to your mailbox:

%d bloggers like this: